Installing Valuatum Word add-in
- First, close all open Word documents
- Open the installer and follow instructions
- After the installation the Valuatum-tab should be visible in MS Word’s tab (see picture below)
Possible problems & solutions
Valuatum tab is not visible
- Valuatum add-in is not selected in ribbons menu
After the installation if the Valuatum-tab is not visible it might be unselected from ribbons menu. You can select the ribbon from customize ribbon options (File – Options – Customize ribbon). Valuatum ribbon should be checked like in the picture below.
2. Valuatum add-in is inactive
If the Valuatum add-in is not visible in the ribbons menu (case 1) it can be inactive. To activate the add-in follow these steps:
- Go to File – Options – Add-ins
- Choose “Com Add-ins” and press Go-button
- Select to Valuatum.Word and press OK
3. Valuatum add-in is disabled
If the Valuatum add-in is not visible in the COM add-ins menu, Word might have disabled the add-in. To enable Valuatum add-in follow these steps:
- Go to File – Options – Add-ins
- Choose “Disabled items” in manage-box and press Go-button
- If the Valuatum add-in is in disabled items, press Enable
- After enabling the add-in, it will be inactive so it should be activated (see previous instructions about activating the add-in)
Valuatum Word’s Save & Load features
Below are instructions how and when to use different save & load features. Please notice that if you save a template file as word-document, linking between variables and database breaks and the template can’t be refreshed anymore. Using Save, Save WIP or Save local copy allows you to refresh the template later with updated figures.
Public Save & Load
When using Save, the template is stored in Valuatum database and will be available for every analysts of a customer in question. This function is normally used for empty report templates. However, modified template can be saved public in case that you want to make it possible for another analyst to load your modified template by using his/her own username.
Save & Load WIP
Save WIP –feature also stores the template to Valuatum database but the template is available only for the user who saved the template. This function is used for modified work-in-progress versions of the template, if the user wants to store the file to database rather than to his/her own hard drive or network hard drive (e.g. user uses different computers and may not have access to a network hard drive).
Save & Load local copy
Local copy –feature stores the template to user’s own computer as a valutemplate-file (notice that opening valutemplate-files needs valuatum word add-in, word itself cannot open the file). Local copy is faster to save & load but it will not be stored in hte database (and therefore it can’t be loaded from another computer if you don’t have the file). Local copies can also be sent to another user who can load it with his/her own username. Backup-saving uses also local copies (see more below).
Valuatum word add-in saves a local copy of your template always when the Word autosaves the document.
- Frequency can be changed from the options of word (Options – save – save autorecover information every x minutes). Note that the box has to be checked to enable autosave process.
Backup-files are saved to the path /Username/My Documents/Valuatum/.
Backup-files are named in the following way: autosave_<number1-10>.valutemplate
- Number is the running number of the backups. For every user, maximum of 10 backups are saved, and after autosave number 10 is reached, process starts from number 1 again in a way that it always overwrites the oldest backup.
- If the Word is closed and opened again, system checks which autosave is the oldest, and starts overwriting from that file.
Backup-file can be opened using “Load local template” –feature. From date modified –column you can check which backup is the most recent.
Save as a word/pdf file
Template can be saved as a word (or other format) file. In this case, the linking between valuatum database and variables breaks and the template can’t be refreshed anymore. However the file remains as it is so the values and texts won’t disappear and the file can still be modified before publishing. Save as a word-file function is generally used after all the variables are refreshed and only a little changes need to be made before publishing or the report is ready and will be published as a pdf-file.